St. Pius X Parish (Milton)

History of St. Pius X

Who was Pope St. Pius X? 


Giuseppe Melchiorre Sarto was born on 2 June 1835 in Reise, in the Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia of the Austrian Empire (present-day province of Treviso, in Italy). He was made cardinal by Pope Leo XIII, who he succeeded as pope on August 4, 1903. Known as the Pope of the Blessed Sacrament, he is remembered for placing a renewed liturgical emphasis on the Eucharist, saying, "Holy Communion is the shortest and safest way to Heaven." To this end, he encouraged frequent reception of Holy Communion. This also extended to children who had reached the "age of discretion.” He also emphasized frequent recourse to the Sacrament of Reconciliation “so that Holy Communion would be received worthily.” He died on August 20, 1914, and was canonized on May 29, 1954, the first pope to be canonized since 1672. 

For more information, click here.


History of St. Pius X Parish


Within a month of Pope Pius X’s canonization, his name was given to a fledgling parish on the Hyde Park/Milton line. "I do now decree the erection of a new parish to be known as Saint Pius the Tenth Parish, effective at midnight of June 6, 1954." –Richard J. Cushing, Archbishop of Boston

Property was purchased at 101 Wolcott Road, Milton, and construction started. The first Mass was said in the Church Hall on December 18, 1954. By Easter Sunday, 1955, the upper church was completed, and the hall was used for overflow services. 

Reverend John Joseph Sullivan was the first pastor. Respected and admired by all, he left an indelible mark on the infant parish in the less than two years as its Pastor. He died on March 8, 1956. He was succeeded by Monsignor Edward Desmond (1956 - 1967), and then by Monsignor William Conley (1967 - 1968) for a short time. 

St. Pius continued to grow under the direction and guidance of Father David M. Burke (1968 - 2007) until 2004, when it faced the threat of suppression. Having fought and survived closure, the next challenge was the clergy abuse scandal, followed shortly by the death of our beloved pastor of 39 years. In 2007, following the death of Father David M. Burke, Father Peter P. Nolan, pastor of Most Precious Blood Parish, was asked to become “temporary” administrator of St. Pius X Parish in Milton. 

Through the grace of God and our Blessed Mother, St. Pius continues to serve the physical and spiritual needs of families in Hyde Park and Milton, including Fuller Village, Fairmount Housing Development and Curry College. 

We are eternally grateful and owe an incalculable debt to the Capuchin Fathers, the Columban Fathers, the Oblates, the Jesuits and the SMA Fathers, whose members have given such substantial help to St. Pius in every conceivable way for the last 60 years. 

In 2014, Father Nolan retired, and St. Pius X, along with his other parish, Most Precious Blood, joined St. Anne's in Readville to form a collaborative, and Father Ronald Coyne was appointed pastor.

 

St. Pius X Parish, Milton MA

 


More...

Photos of St. Pius X


Catholics Come Home Catholic TV